Wednesday, December 30, 2015

New Year's goals

I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas!  This year was very much a white Christmas on Temple Square and what a beautiful time it was!
Tuesday morning we had Assembly Hall for two hours and I met "Luke." (Name changed for privacy purposes). He was visiting from Florida on his way to Seattle to visit a friend. His flight got delayed so he came to Temple Square. This was his first time to Salt Lake.  I asked if he had seen much and the Assembly Hall was his first stop.  I started asking questions to get to know him.  I learned he had a friend or coworker who was Mormon, but had never talked with them about their faith.  He grew up Methodist but didn't agree with some of the things and stopped reading, praying and attending church.

He asked about the purpose of the temple and why he could not enter. I  explained to him that it was a very sacred, special place where we make covenants, or higher promises with God. I also explained that not even all members could enter right away.  However, that did not mean he could never go in.   There are three questions that are answered when we go: Where did we come from? Why we are here? and Where do we go after this life?  He said he didn't believe in heaven and did not have an answer to any of those questions.  I felt an overwhelming feeling to tell him God loves him.  Then the Spirit prompted me to invited him to read the Bible again as a goal for the New year.  The spirit was very strong and I knew that he felt Heavenly Father's love, even if he didn't express it.

When New Years comes around I often try to think of finding something "new" I want to develop or a high achieving goal I have always wanted to succeed in.  But this experience taught me that sometimes the goals we set for ourselves need to be simple and need to be a skill we haven't "touched" in a while.  I want to invite each of you to make one of your New Years resolutions to develop or strengthen a relationship you haven't had in a while.  This relationship could be with a family member, a friend, or maybe with our Heavenly Father.  Get on your knees and pour your heart out to Him, seeking for His love.  I promise you that whatever relationship you choose, your happiness will increase!  I too will take this invite and you can email me if you want to follow up with my progress.

I know love, hope and charity bring us happiness because they are characteristics of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  God sent us to the earth to make goals so that we can return to live with Him again someday. I know that because Joseph Smith sought to strengthen his relationship with God and Jesus Christ, he was able to restore the gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth.  I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

Happy New Year!
Love,
Sister Mikeila Aquino

No comments:

Post a Comment