Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Christmas is here on Temple Square!

Christmas is here on Temple Square!  The grounds are lit up with beautiful colors and many of God's children gather on the grounds!  Christmas is my absolute favorite season and being here on Temple Square makes it even more special.

As with everywhere else, it is also the busiest time of the year on Temple Square as many hustle and bustle to  to see the Christus or to take pictures in front of the temple with the lights.  It is easy at times to get distracted. The word Christmas has Christ' name in it, but often we are caught up in the other beauties of the season instead of focusing on our Savior, who is the reason to celebrate.  


Last year we started "Sing and Smile."  On our schedules we sing Christmas songs from the hymn book many times each week.  Last night a little girl and her family were walking by taking pictures of the lights.  She then came up to us missionaries and just stood there looking as if she wanted to sing.  So we helped her stand on the top of one of the planters and she started singing with us.  It was such a precious and memorable sight to see!   I realized that best way to find peace in our lives, especially during the holiday season is to center our lives around Jesus Christ; just as this little girl had done.  

Christmas carols are all fun exciting and memorable to sing, but the carols that provide peace, comfort and healing are the ones that share the message of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  I invite each of you to choose one of your favorite Christmas carols that talk about the Savior.  Sing it to yourself or listen to it and then post the lyrics on social media with your testimony of why you love the Savior.  I promise you that this will answer another's prayers and it will help to calm your crazy busy life.  If  you are not sure what song to share or what to say, watch this video that the church recently published and maybe this will give you some ideas!


One of my favorite Christmas songs is "Away in a Manger."

 Away in a manger, no crib for his bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head;
The stars in the heavens looked down where he lay,
The little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay.

The cattle are lowing; the poor baby wakes,
But little Lord Jesus, no crying he makes.
I love thee, Lord Jesus; look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle till morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus; I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And fit us for heaven to live with thee there.



Our Savior was born so that we may know joy, comfort and peace.  He lived to teach us humility, love, obedience, charity, knowledge and faith.  He died and was resurrected so that we may have the hope to return to live with God again.  Christ was born in the most humble state to teach us gratitude.  I love my Savior.  He is my brother, my advocate and my friend.  I say this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.
Love, Sister Mikeila Aquino

Sing and Smile


No comments:

Post a Comment