Thursday, December 11, 2014

I Shared the Book of Mormon with a Panda

I cannot believe I am done with my first transfer here at Temple Square!  Crazy how fast time goes by!  I have learned so much from my companion, the other sisters, President and Sister Poulsen, various people I meet on the Square and so many more!  I really have been blessed to be here on Temple Square at this time.

Thursday evening, one of the local church stake Relief Societies, brought us cookies and made individual Christmas goodie bags for us sisters.  We sang "Called to Serve' (Temple Square version) to them and then sang "Silent Night" with them.  Everyone in the room had a smile on their face and I could just feel the love and happiness from the Spirit.  I am very grateful to those sisters that took the time to bring us these gifts, because it definitely brightened my day.

Saturday I took my very first hospitality tour!  A hospitality tour is when a large group reserves for a tour on Temple Square and more than one companionship takes them around Temple Square.  I was nervous at first because I have a really soft voice and the microphones we had weren't working, but then we found working ones.  I had a lot of fun.  I had the opportunity to share my testimony of the Temple.  The Salt Lake Temple took 40 years to build and it still stands to day.  Just like the foundation of the temple is solid, our faith in Jesus Christ must be also.  I love the scripture Heleman 5:12 of the Book of Mormon, which says, And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall. 

Sunday evening I had the opportunity to go to the First Presidency Christmas Devotional!  The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is a remarkable sight!  I loved all of the talks given.  I really enjoyed the one given by Richard J. Maynes.  He shared that because of the obedience of Mary and Joseph and Jesus, each of us have the opportunity to have eternal life.  Each of their role's leading up to the birth of the Savior was vital to our salvation.  Mary, Joseph and Jesus are remarkable people.  It is because of them I have the opportunity to be with my family for eternity!


​So you probably read the title and said "What?"  I don't blame you.  Monday I gave a Book of Mormon to a Panda!  I was at MAP desk (in the North VC) and a guy with a camera comes walking in with someone dressed up in a Panda costume.  They walked over to the Jerusalem model.  I looked at Sister Palmer with a confused face.  She started calling security.  The is nothing wrong with dressing up in a costume, but walking on a place like Temple Square, probably is not the best place to do something like that.  I decided to go over and talk with them.  On the Panda's head an chest is said "sockpanda.com".  I asked what the company was for.  The guy with the camera told me they were taking a cross country road trip giving socks to the homeless.  Not sure why this next statement he made was important, but he said they knew the mayor of Provo very well.  They then asked what there was to see around here on Temple Square.  I told them about the different buildings and various things to see in the visitor centers.  They left and walked up to the Christus, taking pictures of the panda.  Then security came in and politely asked them to leave.  I didn't know, but costumes are not allowed on Temple Square.  Temple Square is such a sacred and peaceful place, having someone dressed up in a costume could be distracting.  It was funny though and random.

Wednesday was transfer day!  Early in the morning, we drove a sister to the airport to go back home.  She was form Italy.  The whole day was so strange and I honestly did not like seeing sisters go.  I was really sad to have to say good bye to my district leader, Sister Yang and her companion, Sister Liao.  A lot of sisters also went outbound. :(  Goodbyes are so hard, but I will always remember that wonderful memories I had with these sisters.

My First Transfer District with our Zone Leades
Wednesday evening, we were stationed at EF( Eternal Families; South VC) desk.  Three guys came walking in and I said "hello".  I asked some questions about their evening and how they were enjoying temple Square.  They were enjoying it.  They were Young Men's leaders for their ward and they brought the youth to Temple Square.  After we talked a little I gave them a challenge.  I said "Jesus Christ is a gift to all of us and He has given us so much.  If you were at the birth of our Savior, what gift would you give to Him?"  I then asked them to give the same challenge to their youth and to the discuss their answers with them.  They accepted the challenge.  Well later on in the evening some youth went up to Sister Palmer and asked if she was from California, the Bay Area.  She said no.  I over heard and told them I was.  They came over to me and said "Either you have a question for us or we have a question to ask you, we aren't sure which one."  My response was "What?  I'm confused."  All three of them laughed.  They told me their bishop had talked with me earlier and I asked the a question.  My mind was still blank.  Then, finally I remembered I had talked with their leaders earlier. hahaha.  I was surprised, but happy the leaders had sent their youth my way.  So I asked them the same question and they all agreed to think about it.  Well, by now I am sure you have figured out that I am all about giving out challenges, so my challenge to for this week is to watch the He is the gift video and ask yourself "If I were present at the birth of Christ, my Savior, what gift would I give Him?" 

I believe in a perfect Savior.  I am grateful to Joseph and Mary for their sacrifice and obedience to God and bringing Christ to this earth to save us all.  I am grateful for all of the natural beauty that is all around me.  It is a wonderful reminder of how peaceful and simple the gospel of Jesus Christ is.  I will never be able to repay the sacrifices Christ made for me, but I can love and serve everyone around me, just like Christ did while He was here on the earth.  I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment