Monday, October 20, 2014

Invite the Spirit

Hi!

It has been a fantastic week!  The Spirit is so strong here.  I was so blessed with the district that I was put in.  Unfortunately the Elders left early this morning so we had to say good bye yesterday. :(  I think I mentioned this before, but they are going to Farmington New Mexico.  Isn't that where Grandpa Rogers is serving?  Tell him to look for an Elder Thalman, Elder Randolph, Elder Snuka and Elder Cartwright.  These four elders were some of the most hard working, dedicated, loving, compassionate and respectful young men I have ever met.  Each and everyone of them strengthened my testimony immensely.  All three of us sisters miss them so much because of the close relationship we had with them.
Laundry Time!

Last pic with our district


On Wednesday our district had a remarkable experience with prayer.  One of my favorite teachers is Bro. Ustivitch.  He actually was not originally our teacher, but one our teachers came once and never came back.  Having Bro. Ustivitch has been a blessing in disguise.  So Wed evening Sis. O'Dell, Elder Snuka and Elder Cartwright were in the new districts class giving them an orientation.  The rest of us were supposed to join them a little later.  Sis. Madrid(another one of our many teachers) there as well as Bro. U.  I can't remember exactly how it happened, but Sis. Haight thanked Bro. U for answering a question she has had a for some time now and she began to cry.  I believe Elder Thamlan was also crying because of  something else said in the lesson.  Bro.U then suggested we say a prayer together.  Without anyone saying anything we all naturally got down on our knees and Elder Thalman gave a beautiful prayer.  After he closed we all stayed on our knees for a couple min.  Then Bro. U asked "Can you feel that?"  That is when I broke down and started bawling!  This was one of the many many times the Spirit was so strong in that room!  It was such a miracle to be part of!  I love Bro. U because every class period he would ask "Will you do all you can to invite the Spirit?"  I absolutely love it! I thanked him for this and he had me read D&C 50:13-14.

Our awesome teacher, Brother Ustivich
Friday was "In-Field Orientation".  We aren't leaving for another week but we still had to go anyways.  I actually enjoyed it!  We were taught by different RMs.  I was exhausted that day though!  The orientation went from 8 am to 5:30 pm.  Oh course we had lunch in between, but still.  I got to see Elder Otani and Sis. Poleman again!  At the end the teachers acted out a play showing importance of missionaries and members working together.  There was a family of three that were the "converts" and they had an adorable little girl who looked like 2 or 3.  It made me think you you guys and afterwards ( for the first time) I got home sick!  I'm okay now.  I think part of it to was I was completely drained!

In our evening class we had to teach "Jerrika".  Jerrika is a less active member who was in a bad situation so her cousin took her in and she was baptized into the church.  But then she was given some trials and so she thinks God doesn't love her.  She works at a bar, has a new bf.  She hasn't prayed to God for the past 5 years.  I invited her to baptism, but she declined.  It still turned out to be a great lesson!

During Saturday morning's class Sis. Madrid taught us to teach straight from the Book of Mormon.  She did a demo role play reading 2 Nephi 31.  She had one of us be the "investigator" and she began reading chapter 31 and then she stopped in the middle or verse 3 because the Spirit prompted her to.  Then she invited the investigator to be baptized.  We then met with Jerrika again.  Sis. Haight began sharing her boyfriend's baptism story (he was actually baptized a month ago).  Then I had the impression to open to 2 Nephi 31.  I invited Jerrika to follow along. I read verse 1 and then I stopped.  The Spirit overcame me and I was just speechless!  I said a few things and then ( while getting choked up) I invited her to baptism.  Jerrika said yes!  I was at a loss for words!  We asked who she wanted to give the closing prayer but she thought we had asked her so she said she would.  Sis. O'dell taught her how to pray.  Then I felt the need to suggest we kneel and we did.  
Read D&C 18:16 : Ask the Father in my name in faith, believing that you shall receive, and you shall have the Holy Ghost, which manifesteth all things which are expedient unto the children of men.  
This is exactly how I felt!   Afterwards Sis. Madrid said that Jerrika was her cousin and that she was the cousin that brought Jerrika into the church.  However she has not been in contact with her for a while until Friday after we taught her she felt she should text Jerrika.  She said we taught her that she needs to reach out to Jerrika if she wants her to come back to church.  That really touched me.

We love you, Sister Madrid!


Love,
Sister Mikeila Aquino


   


No comments:

Post a Comment