Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Loving the Lord more than earmuffs

The Spring season is slowly on its way and I love it!  Winter is beautiful and the Salt Lake Temple is a breath taking sight covered in white, but my body can only handle the temperature for so long. Honestly, I could live in the hot summer Arizona weather longer than a Utah winter.  However, I am still grateful for Heavenly Father's beautiful creation!

Since the beginning of winter I have been trying to find earmuffs at the store because my ears were very cold and my beanie didn't always keep them warm.  I finally found a pair a couple of weeks ago in our mission bin where the sisters can recycle the clothes they don't want and others can take them for free.  Then, Saturday evening I realized I had left them somewhere. I back-tracked to find them, but had no luck.  I began to have a sour attitude.I was frustrated...  frustrated that I had lost my cute and stylish earmuffs.  The next day was Sunday and while I partook of the sacrament I prayed to the Lord for peace.        

The Lord will always teach you the lesson you need to find joy.  Sunday I was on exchanges with Sister Bean, one of the sisters in my district.  We decided to talk with this man, who was a member of the church, and he offered for us to sit down and talk with him for a little bit.  We began talking about his family and his wife's conversion into the gospel.  Because it was such a spirit lead conversation I cannot even explain the feelings I had and all that was said.  Then he made a statement along these lines.  "Too many people focus on the worldly and materialist things... Too many people think that happiness comes from money, cars, etc.  He went on to say that none of those things matter.  Only the gospel of Jesus Christ can bring us happiness.  Pure joy simply comes from the following the example of Jesus Christ and keeping God's commandments." 
I was re-taught, if you will, a vital lesson that as mortals we often forget.  Even though I am serving a mission, striving to live a righteous life, I still get selfish and turn my heart away from the Lord.  My mind and desires were so focused on cute and stylish things that I had forgotten my purpose on  a mission and more importantly my purpose on this earth.

If today is one of those days or weeks or months, that you feel is "going south" my invitation to you is to turn your heart to the Lord.  Ask for forgiveness, read the scriptures and PRAY!  Don't wait like I did for someone to tell you to change.  It may be difficult because turning, changing is hard, but I promise you that you will find peace and eternal joy!


Although it can be difficult at times to admit my mistakes and faults I am grateful to be a sinner and to be the clumsy person that I am because I have been able to grow closer to my Savior Jesus Christ.  No other event, like the atonement, could fully heal a scar as it does and no other event could promise eternal joy as Joseph Smith's first vision.  Jesus Christ bled from every pore and was crucified for each of us individually.  Joseph Smith did see God the Father and Jesus Christ in 1820 and he was called as a prophet by God.  Heavenly Father loves His children.  With our families we can return to live with Him again some day.  I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

Love,
Sister Mikeila Aquino


Cold snowy weather with a smile on my face!


I love my companion, Sister Evangelista!

Aloha to the Elder and Sister Moore, our mission secretaries!  I will miss them!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment